Dread attending networking events and not sure how to make the most of your time at an event? Here is some advice from a fellow networker on "to do's" and "not to do's," that will hopefully make you more comfy and make your time at an event oh so productive. So here we go, in no specific order......
1. Practice a one minute summary of what it is you do and what a good lead for you is. Try and be as specific as possible and do your best to make it interesting and if possible, memorable. For example instead of saying, HI, I am Suzie and I own a Production company and want clients who need my services, I would say....."Hi, I am Suzie with Vigon Productions, I produce videos almost exclusively for the web.
I am looking for clients that want to find charismatic ways to bring their message to the internet using video. That is far more catchy and specific...I am looking for clients who want web videos produced.
2. Only hand out a business card when asked for it. Never go around the room handing out biz cards randomly...people generally hate that. Well at least I know I hate it. If they don't have use for your card, odds are they won't hold on to it. Besides you paid for those cards, use them when necessary and not before!
3. LISTEN. I can't stress this enough, by listening to what other people do and need, you might be able to offer helpful suggestions and possible leads for their businesses. Doing business is about building good relationships and a great way to do that is by offering to help others. Just think of the whole, "do unto others as you would have them to unto you" mindset.
4. Be in the moment. As silly as that sounds, it's really good advice. When you are "networking" with someone, give them your whole attention, eye contact and focus. You never know how you can help each other so spend the few minutes you have using Tip #3, Listening.
5. If you possess a "shy type" personality, don't stress...take a friend along to the event, you will be surprised how this will help increase your comfort level.
Ok, now that I have given you some food for thought...want a great place to put these tips in action?
Then come out to the "Back To Business Expo" on June 12th in Winter Park. Click the link below for more information on both Vendor tables ($80 for a table AND your lunch, is that a deal or what?), and the price of just attending.
Until the muse descends again,