With hurricane season beginning June 1 we have to make sure we are prepared in case we are hit by a hurricane, tornado or severe thunderstorm.
Below a useful checklist with tips for fellow insiders and their friends:
With your family, discuss your hurricane preparation plan.
- If you choose to shelter at home, find "safe areas" in your home, preferably a room with NO windows.
- If you choose to shelter somewhere else, decide on evacuation routes and a pre-determined place to meet.
Stock up on emergency supplies you may need:
- One gallon of water daily/person for 5 days.
- Enough non-perishable food for the household for at least 5 days.
- A non-electric can opener; cooking tools and fuel; paper plates and plastic utensils
- Toiletries; toothpaste and brush; deodorant and soap; shaving equipment; toilet paper, .....
- Supplies for infants, including diapers and formula
- At least a two-week supply of prescribed family medicines, as well as a typical first-id kit with bandages, antibiotic cream, headache medicine and antacids.tsts
- Blankets, pillows, extra clothing and rain gear
- Battery powered NOAA weather radio and flashlight; and extra batteries
- A waterproof container with extra cash and important documents, such as insurance, bank acoount and Social Security cards.
- A list of important phone numbers including; the family's local pharmacy, doctors and designated contacts the family can call in cas of an emergency
- Camera to record damage to property
- Home inventory documenting all your belongings. In case you do not have an inventory yet, check out our website: www.4-corners-home-inventory.com. A small investment now can prevent you from loosing thousands of dollars
Also check out: http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=33513
To be continued......